Tuesday 27 May 2008

Why is it happening?

Isn't it funny how things can affect us. I've felt really down all day, partly to do with the horrible weather I think, but also because I have been watching the news over the last week or so, and there is so much sadness in the world. The images of the poor people in Burma and China affected by awful natural disasters and then there have been three young men killed in mindless attacks of violence within just a few days of each other. A young child actually starved to death in the care of her parents. My heart goes out to the families of the young people who were murdered and you question how they bear such emotional pain. I also question how society misses such a thing as a starving child. I work in the children and families department of social services and have often been involved with child protection cases, but the system relies heavily on someone reporting what is going on. I am sure there must be many children who slip through the net because family members and neighbours, who know there is something wrong, don't want to rock the boat by reporting neglect to the authorities.


Anyway, I'll get my miserable head off now and cheer myself up by talking about my gorgeous grandbabies. Jess had her school photo taken last week and the photographer also agreed to take photographs of pupils with younger siblings who were not yet at school so Clare also had one taken of Jessie and Millie together. They came the other day and are absolutely gorgeous. I have them both on display on the sideboard but also conned two more out of Clare so I could scrap them.
The photographer was excellent, not the usual boring old school photos so the results were lovely. The 'Watch the Birdie' LO was done exclusively with papers from the Bubblyfunk May kit. The 'Love is a Sister' LO is done from a sketch on Bubblyfunk by Anna Bowkis. It is completely different to my normal style as its a very simple LO and I have only used a couple of colours but I was really pleased with the result.

2 comments:

Karen said...

They are both very pretty layouts Chris as are your grandaughters!

Yes, the world today does seem a horrid place to be doesn't it. You get to the point when you wonder what will be in the news next.

Take care X

Kaz said...

They are both gorgeous photos and LO's Chris. What a lovely change for the style of photos.

I love how you've done the birdie one to get one flying!